|Burton Latimer Heritage Society was formed in 2000 to promote an interest in the history of Burton Latimer and its people. Its formation was prompted by a gift of £2000 by Weetabix Ltd to Burton Latimer Town Council to refurbish a room in the council offices at ‘The Poplars’, High Street, for use as a small museum, later to be known as the Heritage Room.
It was felt that the museum would be best managed by a group of volunteers, rather than the Town Council, and a public meeting was called to gauge support. It was a successful meeting and the Burton Latimer Heritage Society was formed. In October that year the Heritage Room Museum opened with its first exhibition and continued to mount exhibitions, at first three times a year and subsequently twice a year.
The Society was granted charitable status in 2002 and has an executive committee of twelve trustees. Its present officers (April 2019) are: Chair:Chris Long; John Meads, secretary; Ian Watson, treasurer. Other trustees are: Godfrey Bigley (minutes secretary)Trevor Cooper, Linda Gregory, Ian Hebden, Janet Meads and John Peck, Nick Smith. Councillors Ruth Groome and Dianne Miles-Zanger are currently the Town Council representatives.
Click here to read the Burton Latimer Heritage Society Constitution
The Society issues four newsletters a year to its members; they carry news of the Society’s activities and articles of historical interest about the town and its past inhabitants. Copies of photographs from all the previous exhibitions are contained in a series of folders which can be seen when the museum is open. Regular audio visual presentations of ‘old Burton ’ photographs and other talks of an historical nature are a regular feature of the Society's programme and Coffee Mornings are held at least twice a year. Walks around the town led by Society guides take place in the summer - please phone for details or visit our Facebook page Burton Latimer Heritage
In 2010, the museum moved from 'The Poplars' to rooms in the Civic Centre, once the town’s medical centre, which has the great advantage of being on the ground floor, unlike at ‘The Poplars’ where it was on the first floor. It also has a large free car park. A successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund meant that in 2011 the museum was refitted with modern conservation standard display cabinets and the research room with a touchscreen computer on to which have been installed forty Burton Latimer indexes with thousands of references to Burton Latimer people. There is also a microfiche reader which can be used to look at parish registers with baptisms 1558-1972, marriages 1558-1996 and burials 1558-1973, a large LCD screen showing old photographs and dozens of books with hundreds of photographs from past exhibitions and other general reference material.
2018 Annual General Meeting
Click here to read the minutes of the 2018 AGM, held at the Civic Centre 15th March 2018
2019 Annual General Meeting
Click here to read the minutes of the 2019 AGM held at the Civic Centre 22nd March 2019