Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page

Town Trail Point 13

The Hall

Photograph of Burton Latimer Hall seen from the south-west
Right - Burton Latimer Hall,
seen from the south-west

The fine Elizabethan house standing at the entrance to the town on the road from Kettering , now known as Burton Latimer Hall, was built by Edmund Bacon, the Lord of Latimer Manor, c1620. It was bought, with its estate, by John Harpur in 1760 and the family has owned it ever since. There is an Elizabethan dovecote and evidence of three fishponds in the grounds. Alterations were made to the house in the 18th century including a new wing facing the main road. Further additions were made in 1872.

Click here to read about the development of the Lords and the Manors of Burton Latimer.

Click here to read about the history of the Hall and some of the people who lived there.

Click here to read more about some residents of the Hall (includes audio clip)

Painting of The Hall shown from the Cricket Ground in 1914
The Hall - 1914

Click here to return to the Main Index