Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Summary researched and compiled by John Meads

A Brief History of Burton Latimer - VIII

Local Government


members of Burton Latimer Parish Council 1914
Burton Latimer Parish Council 1914

Standing L-R: Tom Ambler (Coal merchant) Herbert Ayres (Journalist) Jonathan Longbotham (Farmer) Canon George L Richardson (Rector) Alf Barratt (Harness dealer) Joseph Boardman (Headmaster) Seated L-R: Fred Stokes (Council clerk) Alf Tailby (Co-op manager) James Wallis (Miller) Charles Barlow (Grocer, farmer, quarry owner) Fred Freestone (Company secretary) Arthur G Miller (Plumber & decorator) Tom Bird (Quarry manager) Sam Maycock (Farmer)


The ‘Church v Chapel’ rivalry, prevalent around the turn of the century extended to membership of the early Parish Council. For example, the 1900 election was contested by candidates who described themselves as ‘Church’ or ‘Nonconformist’ candidates. The successful churchmen included   the curate, two farmers, a mason, the church school headmaster and a quarry manager. The nonconformists were the Baptist minister, two boot and shoe manufacturers, a farmer, coal merchant and flour mill owner. The District Council election was held at the same time, resulting in a nonconformist candidate, a Friendly Society candidate and church candidate being elected and a nonconformist losing his seat.

Whatever their allegiance, the men who managed our affairs at that time were responsible for encouraging the great changes taking place in Burton Latimer. In addition to the hundreds of houses that were being built, many significant public buildings and factories were erected in the late 1800s and early 1900s: the Whitney & Westley shoe factory in Finedon Street, the Hart & Levy clothing factory in Bakehouse Lane; the Board (later Council) School, the cinema, the coffee house, Britannia Club and Cottage Homes, all in the High Street; St. Crispin’s Hall off Church Street, the Mission Church and infants school on the corner of Higham Road and Finedon Road. The Methodist Chapel was built in Duke Street and opposite it was built the fire station with accommodation for the Parish Council in rooms above. The first Co-operative Society shop was built in Duke Street in 1888, followed in 1913 by additional offices and shops in the High Street. The Constitutional Hall was built opposite the Wagon & Horses in Kettering Road, the Pavilion opposite the Red Cow, and there was a large corrugated iron and timber room in Alexandra Street and another attached to the Band Club in the High Street that were used for band practices and meetings.

With the exception of the fire station and council offices, all of the above were built by private enterprise or by the District Council, but the Parish Council, established in 1894, had members with great influence who also sat on the District or County Councils. The Electric Palace cinema and the Pavilion were both built by businessman councillors with their ‘private enterprise’ hats on.

Below is a list of Chairmen, where known, of the Parish Council (from 1894), the Urban District Council (from 1924) and from Burton Latimer Town Council (from 1974)

Parish Council 1894/95 Thomas COLLINGS
Parish Council 1895/96 Thomas COLLINGS
Parish Council 1896/97 Thomas COLLINGS
Parish Council 1897/98 Thomas COLLINGS
Parish Council 1898/99 Thomas COLLINGS
Parish Council 1899/1900 Revd. Harold PRIESTLAND
Parish Council 1900/01 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1901/02 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1902/03 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1903/04 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1904/05 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1905/06 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1906/07 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1907/08 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1908/09 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1909/10 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1910/11 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1911/12 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1912/13 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1913/14 Charles BARLOW
Parish Council 1914/15 Fred Taylor FREESTONE
Parish Council 1915/16 Alfred BARRATT
Parish Council 1916/17 Alfred BARRATT
Parish Council 1917/18 Joseph BOARDMAN
Parish Council 1918/19 James A WALLIS
Parish Council 1919/20 A C HARRIS
Parish Council 1920/21 James   BUCKBY
Parish Council 1921/22 James BUCKBY
Parish Council 1922/23 Edward BAILEY
Parish Council May-Oct 1923 Joseph BOARDMAN
Urban District Council Oct 23 -May 24 J Wallace COLES
Urban District Council 1924/25 J Wallace COLES
Urban District Council 1925/26 Albert E FOX
Urban District Council 1926/27 Arthur G MILLER
Urban District Council 1927/28 Louis H LETHBRIDGE, Revd
Urban District Council 1928/29 Stephen MASON
Urban District Council 1929/30 Oliver TAILBY
Urban District Council 1930/31 R B (Bobby) POWNALL
Urban District Council 1931/32 Frank BARLOW
Urban District Council 1932/33 Archibald C HARRIS
Urban District Council 1933/34 Oliver TAILBY
Urban District Council 1934/35 Arthur G MILLER
Urban District Council 1935/36 R B (Bobby) POWNALL
Urban District Council 1936/37 Archibald C HARRIS
Urban District Council 1937/38 Alfred BARLOW
Urban District Council 1938/39 J W (Jack) PATRICK
Urban District Council 1939/40 R B (Bobby) POWNALL
Urban District Council 1940/41 R J (Bob) MACKINTOSH
Urban District Council 1941/42 Archibald C HARRIS
Urban District Council 1942/43 Oliver TAILBY
Urban District Council 1943/44 R J (Bob) MACKINTOSH
Urban District Council 1944/45 Albert V MORLEY
Urban District Council 1945/46 B W (Bob) PHILLIPS
Urban District Council 1946/47 R J (Bob) MACKINTOSH
Urban District Council 194748 Len PATRICK
Urban District Council 1948/49 Ernest E CLIPSON
Urban District Council 1949/50 B W (Bob) PHILLIPS
Urban District Council 1950/51 Edith C PECK, Mrs
Urban District Council 1951/52 Reg S HORN
Urban District Council 1952/53 R J (Bob) MACKINTOSH
Urban District Council 1953/54 Len PATRICK
Urban District Council 1954/55 Dennis LONG
Urban District Council 1955/56 George WARD
Urban District Council 1956/57 Edith C PECK, Mrs
Urban District Council 1957/58 Kathline M BURROWS, Mrs
Urban District Council 1958/59 Douglas J ASHBY
Urban District Council 1959/60 Douglas J ASHBY
Urban District Council 1960/61 Robert J MACKINTOSH
Urban District Council 1961/62 George WARD
Urban District Council 1962/63 Margaret E O GARDNER, Mrs
Urban District Council 1963/64 Peter J TOSELAND
Urban District Council 1964/65 Len PATRICK
Urban District Council 1965/66 Arthur F MUTLOW
Urban District Council 1966/67 Jack STOKES
Urban District Council 1967/68 R W H (Dick) COOPER
Urban District Council 1968/69 Albert A MORBY
Urban District Council 1969/70 J Colin MACKINTOSH
Urban District Council 1970/71 Albert A MORBY
Urban District Council 1971/72 Roland A BARLOW
Urban District Council 1972/73 Douglas J ASHBY
Urban District Council 1973/74 John MEADS
Town Council 1974/75 J Nicholas LOAKE
Town Council 1975/76 Maurice PATRICK
Town Council 1976/77 R W H (Dick) COOPER
Town Council 1977/78 June E SMITH, Mrs
Town Council 1978/79 Christopher J GROOME
Town Council 1979/80 Peter C JOHNSON
Town Council 1980/81 Albert A MORBY
Town Council 1981/82 Douglas J ASHBY
Town Council 1982/83 Marion YORK, Mrs
Town Council 1983/84 John MEADS
Town Council 1984/85 Davina MILLS, Mrs
Town Council 1985/86 June E SMITH, Mrs
Town Council 1986/87 Christopher J GROOME
Town Council 1987/88 James L C AVELING
Town Council 1988/89 Albert A MORBY
Town Council 1989/90 Joan Y GRIFFITHS, Mrs
Town Council 1990/91 David E DAVIES
Town Council 1991/92 Raymond G BRYCE
Town Council 1992/93 Marion YORK, Mrs
Town Council 1993/94 Roger W ("Bo") PATRICK
Town Council 1994/95 John D CUTMORE
Town Council 1995/96 Stephen K THOMAS
Town Council 1996/97 Albert A MORBY
Town Council 1997/98 Joan Y GRIFFITHS, Mrs
Town Council 1998/99 John L LOASBY
Town Council 1999/2000 John D CUTMORE
Town Council 2000/01 Robert  L  FIELD
Town Council 2001/02 Sheila M WALDEN, Mrs
Town Council 2002/03 Marion YORK Mrs
Town Council 2003/04 John D CUTMORE
Town Council 2004/05 Derek G ZANGER
Town Council 2005/06 Derek G ZANGER
Town Council 2006/07 Michelle S EVANS, Ms
Town Council 2007/08 Michelle S EVANS, Ms
Town Council 2008/09 Derek G ZANGER

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the History & Development Index