Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Written by John Meads

Burton Latimer 1891 Census


The 1891 census was taken on 3 April 1891and should contain the names of everyone at the numbered household at midnight on that date.

The census enumerator was James Blowfield Nutt, who lived at what is now 44 High Street and who was the parish rate collector.

In order to meet a criticism that masters had not been distinguished from men at previous censuses, three new columns were introduced headed 'employer', 'employed', and 'neither employer nor employed' but we have omitted the third heading.

As in previous transcriptions, we have added a first column reference number. This is our indexing, not part of the official census. However, by using it for the demarcation of each house or household, it allows the names to be re-sorted into alphabetical order for easy location and to remain cross-referenced to the household in the original census list.

The vast majority of entries under ‘Relationship to Head of Household’, ‘Marital Status’ and ‘Occupation’ are listed as in the original return and should be easily understood. The transcription has been double checked but, as in all transcriptions, we advise the researcher to consult the original document if there is serious doubt about its accuracy.

Under ‘Place of Birth’, the original return combined the town or village with the county, but we have separated them and used the Chapman County Code to identify counties.


Description of Boundaries and Contents of Enumeration District

The Whole of the Parish of Burton Latimer including the Round House and Cottages adjoining, Cottages on Poor's Allotment, Glendon Iron Co.'s Lodge, Downing's Lodge, Windmill House and Cottages, House and Cottages at Flour Mills, Isham Railway Station, Osborne's Lodge, Eady's Lodge, Wold Lodge, Late Phillips, The whole in the Parliamentary Division of North Northamptonshire .


1881 Location Modern Location
Amblers Yard Next to the Band Club, since then sometimes known as Band Club Yard.
Bakehouse Lane Still exists, though few original cottages survive - runs north from Kettering Road to Church Street
Brickyard Row Row of cottages overlooking the brickyard at Croxen's Yard, School Lane. Now part of the site of St. Mary's School playing fields.
Browns Row At the end of Pigotts Lane. The fire station now occupies its site.
Caroline Terrace Still exists. A terrace of stone cottages in Finedon Road, stretching from the bottom of Finedon Street northwards towards Rosebery Street.
Church Road The present day Church Street.
Hilly Farm A stone farmhouse in the centre of town, on the east side of the High Street. Still exists, standing opposite the entrance to Churchill Way.
Horse & Groom Inn Still exists - the present-day Olde Victoria.
The Laurels Farmhouse on the corner of Church Street and Wold Road facing up Cranford Road.
The Manse Stone-built former farmhouse, now known as 'The Limes', given to the Baptist Church by its first pastor, John Yeomans.
Manse Cottage Small cottage in the grounds of the Manse, now much enlarged.
Mill Cottage Once part of the Wallis's Mill premises but now demolished and its site included in the oldest part of the Weetabix complex, Station Road.
The Mills Wallis's flour mills, Station Road.The Wallis family lived at 'Isebank', now known at 'Constantia House' and part of the Weetabix office premises facing Station Road.
Nichols Yard Thought to be off the High Street between the Red Cow Inn and Hilly Farm opposite the present day Churchill Way.
Northern's Yard William Northern was a coal dealer and his yard was possibly in what is now the southern end of the High Street.
Osborne's Row Owned by James Osborne, a farmer and landowner, built at right angles to Meeting Lane.
Osborne's Terrace Another terrace built by James Osborne, farmer and quarry owner, parallel with Meeting Lane at its southern end.
Quincey's Row A row of cottages off Meeting Lane facing the factory at its southern end. Converted and used as garages by 'She Products'.
The Rectory The Rectory was re-built in 1750 and demolished in the 1980s. The site of the building and its grounds are now occupied by twenty-five houses at Church View..
Rock Terrace A row of 19th century red-brick cottages that once stood on what is now a used car lot at the junction of Pioneer Avenue and High Street.
Round House As on 1881 Intro
School House Stands on the corner of Church Street and the road leading to Preston Court
Seventy-Acre Farm On the Wold near the southern parish boundary with Finedon .
Spring Gardens A row of cottages built parallel to Bakehouse Lane in 1858 Demolished in the early 1960s and now the site of a modern development bearing the same name.
Thatchers Arms Inn Just inside Meeting Lane, now a private house.It had a six-day licence due to its proximity to the Baptist chapel.
Vine Cottage Position not known, but probably at the eastern end of Bakehouse Lane near its junction with Kettering Road.
Wold Lodge The largest farm on the Wold, now known as Wold Farm.

1891 Census Surname Index
1891 Census Household Index

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Genealogy Index