|Cutting from Evening Telegraph transcribed by Margaret Craddock
Ten enterprising townsmen who planked down £150 each started Burton Latimer’s cinema. Their wives and daughters used to take turns in the paybox and help to sell chocolates.
That was way back in the 1914-18 war, in the days of silent films.
Attached to the cinema which the shareholders built was a lawn, a café and a billiards room.
Mr O Tailby, who was secretary and manager, was allowed only £4 a week to hire the best pictures he could get for the money.
There were some exciting times. Once the management, greatly daring, hired “A Lancashire Lass” for a week for £75 but somehow the film arrived at Rugby instead of
With an expectant audience already queuing, a fast (for those days) car was sent to
Then there was a further snag because the operator had not had time to run the film through, it kept breaking amid groans and whistles from the audience. But they were exciting times and when in 1924, with talkies on the horizon, the little company sold out to Watts Cinemas, they did so with some regrets. Running the