|Transcribed by Sally Crane from "Evening Telegraph" 1972
A pair of wrought iron gates dedicated to the late Rev. R. W. Sharpley, former Rector of Burton Latimer, are to replace the existing main gates to the churchyard.
Mr. Sharpley. who was rector from 1937 to 1967, played a large part in setting the church restoration programme off the ground in 1957.
Churchwardens Mr. J. R. Loake and Mr. D. J. Ashby hope the church restoration will be complete by the late summer, and plan a thanksgiving service at the patronal festival on September 8.
The gates will be dedicated at the service, in appreciation of his 30 years' work in the parish.
Mr. Sharpley was ordained priest in 1924. He was curate at Newport Pagnell and Banbury, and later became Vicar of Gt Bourton and Cropredy until 1937 when he came to Burton Latimer.
A bachelor, he served in the First World War for four years, and was discharged, wounded.
A member of the Ancient and distinguished family of Lamplugh, Mr. Sharpley's ancestor Thomas Lamplugh was Archbishop of York during the reign of Charles II. Several generations were clergymen and his brother Kenneth recently retired as Suffragen Bishop of
His grandfather. Mr. C. E. Lamplugh, acquired the manorial rights of the Manor of Sutton,
When he died in 1905, Mr. Lamplugh left the manor to Mr. Sharpley's uncle who in turn left it to Mr. Sharpley in 1955.
After the last war the old rectory at Burton Latimer was restored and Mr. Sharpley was able to furnish the house beautifully with antiques and works of art, many of them priceless family pieces and many times has opened his house to the public.
Mr. Sharpley served for many years on the Kettering and District Hospitals Management Committee and the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen's Families Association.
He died on Easter Monday 1969 at his home in Little Oakley.
Anyone wishing to donate to the Rev. R. W. Sharpley Memorial Gates Fund, should contact Mr. Ashby at Regent House,