Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Report from Northampton Mercury 26 August 1876 transcribed by Margaret Craddock

Wallis's Mill

Report of fire at Wallis’s Mill 

Wallis had run the mill for about 20 years, mill working day and night.  Ten pairs of mill stones used.  Main building was almost completely destroyed with only the two end walls left standing.  Two steam engines were undamaged.  Before the fire the mill had been turning out 800-900 sacks of flour per week.  This was the third fire in 50 years.

Stone recovered from the mill after the fire was used to build the existing Weetabix House with date stone of 1877.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Local Industry Index