Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page


In this section of the 1926 Kettering and District Annual can be seen the businesses of two members
of the Urban District Council - A. G. Miller and A. E Fox. Note that under 'Fruiterers & Greengrocers,'
the entry Farray, George, should read Farrow, George and Capp, Miss A. should read Capps, Miss A.
Unfortunately, these printing errors were not uncommon and can lead to mistaken identities.
Cllr. A.E.Fox, JP, partner in
Fox Bros and Chairman of
the Urban District Council
in 1926


Burton Latimer is a small town about 3½ miles south east of Kettering, five miles north of Wellingborough and 15 miles south west of Northampton and 72 miles from London. It is situated very favourably industrially. It has good train services to the metropolis and the north, and towns situated on the London Midland and Scottish Railway.

The United Counties Omnibus Co., Ltd., have an excellent service through the town, and several local people also run fast 'buses to Kettering. This of course has its advantages, but it must be obvious that trade in the town suffers greatly, as the inhabitants are able to visit Kettering in a few minutes and at a very small cost to do their shopping, and the larger shopping centre is invariably the more attractive.

The town is lighted by gas and electricity. There is a good sewage system and works. A plentiful supply of pure water is obtained from Weekley, and if needed a further supply can be obtained from Kettering.

The Kettering and District General Hospital, Rothwell Road, Kettering, is the nearest Hospital. Use is also made of Northampton General Hospital and Leicester Royal Infirmary. These places are supported by the town volun­tarily. There are two banks, the National Provincial Bank, Ltd., and Barclays Bank, Ltd.

The Burton Latimer U.D.C. has 12 members, retiring triennially. The town also has three representatives on the Kettering Board of Guardians. The electoral area includes five neighbouring villages.

The Church authorities have a school on the Finedon Road erected in 1898, and costing £1150.

The Endowed School is in Church Street. It was founded by Thomas Burbanke and his wife in 1587, and now accom­modates 300. The mixed school was erected in 1878, on the opposite' side of the street, and the combined schools accommodate 560 children.

In 1898, the nonconformists erected a school at a cost of £2,500. The erection of the school was the result of dogged perseverance and sacrifice in the face of adverse circumstances, and the money took a very considerable time to raise.

This school was taken over by the County Education Authorities in 1905, and since then there have been many improvements, including a Technical School erected in the playground.

Burton Latimer boasts a very handsome Church, the Parish Church of St. Mary, built in the early English and Norman style, and presenting an imposing appearance. It consists of embattled west tower, north porch, clerestoried nave of six bays, chancel and arches. The lower stages of the tower are early English, the top stage is of later date and the embattlements 14th century. The church has had several renovations and additions, the latest being increase to the peals, from six to eight, and a beautiful war memorial.

The Baptist Chapel in Meeting Lane was built in 1744, and its first minister was Mr. John Yeomans, who served 32 years in that capacity.

The Chapel has passed through very adverse and trying times but the sympathy of many friends succeeded in making it an established place of worship. There have been several extensive and important alterations which were completed in 1921, gallery, choir stalls, and organ chamber were erected and several rooms added. A fine organ was presented by the late Mr. C. Barlow, J.P., C.A., the treasurer, in memory of his wife.

There is also a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1891, and the Salvation Army have a meeting-place.

In the ccntre of the town a handsome war memorial has been erected at a cost of £700, in memory of those who fell in the Great War.

For the entertainment of the townspeople there arc the Electric Palace, and the Pavilion in High Street; and several rooms can be utilised in other parts of the town for concerts, public meetings, etc.

Outdoor sport is well catered for by several football, cricket and tennis clubs, and a recreation ground for the children.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Genealogy Index