Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Article taken from local newspaper dated 1951.

Garage Fire 1951

Photograph showing thatched roof of shop partially destroyed by fire.
When fire broke out in the early hours of Monday morning at a garage in Church Street , Burton Latimer, owned by the Rector, Reverend R W Sharpley, sparks also set alight the thatched roof of a shop owned by Mr C E Garlick. The shop roof, as our picture shows, was badly damaged, but firemen who hacked away part of the thatch prevented flames from spreading. One car in the garage was destroyed, but the Rector’s car was wheeled to safety.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Emergency Services Index