John Meads - 2011
|Like several of Burton Latimer's charities which benefitted from income from lands and properties in other parishes, there were lands and properties in Burton Latimer that contributed to charities and institutions in other towns and villages. Charities in other towns and villages also paid Burton Latimer tradesmen to take on apprentices.
These are some of those charities and institutions:
"Daniel Herbert, by his will dated 9 Nov. 1696, gave £10 per annum, charged upon his farm at Burton Latimer, for the purpose of apprenticing poor boys resident in the Borough of Northampton. By an order of the Charity Commissioners dated 6 July 1906 it was determined that the sums of £400 and £40 Consols with the Official Trustees should be set aside to form the endowments of the above mentioned charities. The income, amounting to £10 and £1 respectively, is applied by the trustees".
At the time of the 1804 Enclosure, Herbert’s Charity owned several large areas of land in Burton Latimer, stretching from both sides of
Latham's Hospital, Oundle
From 1614 until at least 1867, when a sale of land took place, Latham’s Hospital, Oundle, owned “a Messuage or Farm House, Yard, Hovels, Barns, and Outbuildings, fronting the Street in
From the same sale document we know that Latham’s Hospital also owned two arable and two grass closes, totalling 31 acres, which were situated west of Bridle Road (named on the sale plan) and south of Station Road (not named on the plan). This land was
The sale particulars state: “Lot1 and about 26 acres in Lot 4 are in the LEASEHOLD tenure of 1,000 years, and 1,000 years held under two Leases commencing in the year 1614, subject to perpetual charges of £8 6s. 8d. per annum, payable to Latham’s Hospital, Oundle.”
These are some of the apprenticeships to Burton Latimer tradesmen:
22 November l856: Sam. Papworth to Moses Irons Eady of Burton Latimer, miller, for a period of 3 years.
1 July1864: David Bamford to Geo. Simpson of