David Barclay Bevan: 1843–1857

3rd son of David, of Walthamstow, Essex, esq. University College, Oxford. Matriculated 8 Dec 1831 aged 18. Magdelen Hall BA 1836, MA 1838. Deacon 1836. Presented. 1837. Rector of Burton Latimer (and patron) 31 Oct 1843, resigned 1857. Vicar of Little Amwell, Herts. 1864-81. (Reference “Northamptonshire and Rutland Clergy from 1500” (1938-43) by Henry Isham Longden)

David Barclay Bevan became Rector of Burton Latimer in 1843. In the Baptism Register 1846-1880, a note from the Rector, Curate and Churchwardens and signed by G. Days, Bishop of Peterborough reads “The chancel was put into complete repair - new seats - grained oak - new pavement - the walls stuccoed - the ceiling painted and a complete new East window with painted glass - the screen moved from the arch which separates the chancel from the nave and a part of the chancel taken off in order to form a vestry behind new tables placed in the screen - a crimson cloth for the communion table and stools and rugs at an expense of something under £200 in October 1844. The pulpit was moved from a pillar on the south side of the middle aisle and placed at the west end of the church in order that the poor people might be nearer the preacher. The free seats which used to face the east were turned round to the west.

In the same year a wing was added to the parsonage house and in that and the following year two oriel windows were thrown out and a portico connecting them was built. New cast windows were placed on the north side of the house and the house entirely repaired and painted. New stables were erected and the gardens laid out afresh and the entrance moved from the centre of the house to the western corner of the garden, at an expense of something less than £2,000. The Manor House at the west of the church was put into repair and fitted up for the residence of the curate. It was a freehold property purchased by the Rector. The school was built by subscription and established as an infant school on freehold land belonging to the Manor House property at an expense of about £200.”  “July 5th 1850 The pulpit was removed from the west end to the east at the wish of the parish. “

It is interesting to note that there are many multiple family baptisms during David Barclay Bevan’s incumbency. In the middle window of the south aisle of the church hangs a pane of armorial glass that came from the rectory and has connections to the Barclay  Bevan family, also in the church is a memorial to two of his sons who died in infancy.  Barclay Bevan built a schoolroom on his own land south of the churchyard for holding cottage lectures and a Sunday school. This building was eventually moved to the rectory grounds to make way for an extension to the churchyard and became known as the Orchard Room and was greatly used by the parishioners for various functions for many years. David Barclay Bevan resigned the living here in 1857 and moved to Hertfordshire.