To read about the Society's DVD, click here.
|To help find the information you may be looking for, try our
The current exhibition at the Heritage Museum is "Burton Latimer House Histories"
More details on the About Us page.
- 02.05.2013 - Christine and Ivan Gazeley have supplied us with a photograph of the 1951 Gala Queen Margaret Mould and her attendants Sadie Williamson and Gill Keightley, which can be found on the Gala Parade Days 1948-60 page here
- 26.04.2013 - Thanks to Peter Collins our site search facility is now up and running again and is better than ever.
- 11.04.2013 - We have been contacted by Michael Lack who has provided all but one of the names of the 22 Burton Latimer scouts in a group photograph taken at the Fountainbleau camp in 1955 - see the link below. More history of the Burton Latimer Working Men's Club (The Rack) has been uncovered and can be seen here It gives the names of many officers, trustees, committee members and stewards from 1898 until 1944.
- 04.04.2013 - Margaret Craddock has completed a major review of scouting in Burton Latimer in the Scouts pages in the Sport & Liesure section and a special gallery of photographs taken during the Scout Camp at Fountainbleau in 1955 here Most of these have no names - can you help to fill them in?
- 28.03.2013 - Jennifer Blount (nee Corstin) has given us a photograph of a County Mixed School PE class from about 1952 with some names but many are missing, can you help? It can be found here.
- 21.03.2013 - A more detailed account of the pre WWII Baptist ministers has been added to the main article about the Baptist Church, and an 1968 article from the Evening Telegraph reporting the appointment of a new Baptist minister can both be found in the Churches section. Some additions have been made to the Burton Latimer Temperance FC page on the Football Teams pages and the Tennis in the Town page in the Sport & Leisure section.
- 11.03.2013 - Stuart Fuoco has given us the remaining unknown name on the 1978 Meadowside football team in the School Teams section and Pete Fox has given us the remaining names on the photo of Mrs Noville's Class c1959 on the St. Mary's Junior School pages of the Gallery of School Photos section
- 04.03.2013 - Thanks to Janet Stanford (nee Culverhouse) some of the dates have been clarified in the St. Mary's Junior School pages of the Gallery of School Photos section
- 18.02.2013 - An 1895 newspaper article about a "Curious Fire in Croxen's Yard" has been added to the Accidents & Incidents section in the Crime section. Linda Rudnicki (nee Burgin) has identified herself in a Schooldays Gallery 2 picture at Meadowside Infants School in 1971. She would be interested in a reunion - we can put you in contact with her.
- 06.02.2013 - Thanks to Terry Bull of Bowden Books, Market Harborough, the Society has aquired some interesting Indentures and documents that relate to land in Cranford Road at a discounted price. They are being transcribed and will appear on the website soon.
An article describing a serious cycling accident in 1899 has been added to the Accidents & Incidents section in the Crime section
- 11.12.2012 - Further additions have been made to Section A of the Retail pages following research in the 1911 census and local newspapers
- 29.11.2012 - An article about Jack Addis has been added to the People pages. Details of several shop histories have been updated in the Section A and Section E of the Retail pages
- 27.11.2012 - An article from 1961 ET reporting the appointment of a new Baptist Minister and an updated history of the Salvation Army can be found in the Churches section. Newly researched information from the 1911 census has enabled us to update information on the First World War names page and a newspaper article has thrown new light on the history of the Burton Latimer Co-operative Society in the Retail section.
- 31.10.2012 - An ET article from 1989 reporting a new holiday club at St Mary's Church has been added to the Churches section. Additional information has been added to the pages about The Dukes Arms and The Horse & Groom in the Pubs & Clubs section
- 23.10.2012 - An article from 1980's ET reporting damage to the wreaths laid at the War Memorial has been added to the Crime section. A Church School Infants photograph dating from the early 1900s has been added to the class photos section
- 23.10.2012 - An ET article from 1986 reporting on damage to the newly opened bridge over the River Ise has been added to the Crime section. Andrew Wright and Richard Downes have given us names for two St Mary's School photos from 1974 and 1975 on the Gallery of School Photos page. Thanks to Barrie Mackay, the Genealogy section now has the names of some Burton Latimer baptisms recorded in the registers of the Independent Old Meeting, Wollaston.
- 13.09.2012 - Alan Francis has now been able to name all of the pupils on the St. Mary's Junior School late 1950s photo on the Gallery of School Photos page.
- 05.09.2012 - Another St Mary's Junior School photograph from Saskia Cousins has been added and Alan Francis has supplied us with the names for the recent St Mary's Junior School photo added to the Education section. A wedding photograph has been added to Mabel Dainty's story in the People section. A newspaper article "In a Write Mess" has been added to the Churches section and a report of a fire causing traffic problems has been added to the Crime section.
- 08.08.2012 - An ET article from 1982 featuring St. Mary's Church School's last prizegiving and a photograph from Saskia Cousins of a Church School class from c1959 have been added to the Education section. An ET article from 1982 about a fire at Pole Position Cars has been added to the Crime section
- 12.07.2012 - An Evening Telegraph article from 1982 describing the poor state of Preston Memorial Hall has been added to the Churches section. Thanks to Jeff Mills the history of the Baptist Church has been added to the Churches section with an updated link to the Baptist Church website.
- 21.06.2012 - Two school relay team pictures and a report of an 1891 athletics meeting have been added to the Sport & Leisure section. An Evening Telegraph article from 1988 outlining hopes for the future of the town has been added to the History section. Two more photographs have been added to the Industry section. One shows pre-war employees of Fox Bros., Leather Merchants and the other is of the Maintenance Department at Alumasc Ltd. Two Evening Telegraph Articles have been added; One describing a house fire in 1987 in the Crime section, another detailing the St Marys School May Queen crowning in 1981 in the Education section.
- 31.05.2012 - A selection of photographs has been added to Gerald Baish's memories in the People section. Two 1949 photographs have been added to the Industry section. One is Kaycee Clothing's long-serving staff and the other is a group of Ideal Clothing Co. girls at Brighton.
- 20.05.2012 Details of the history of tennis in the town and some athletics pictures have been added to the Sport & Leisure section. A series of photos of the Marching Pathfinders taken in the 1980's have been added to the Sport & Leisure section.The names of children working in factories taken from the 1901 census are in the Industry section. Jeff Mills has supplied some East Lea and Meadowside class and football names.
- 03.05.2012 - An 1851 newspaper report has been added to the emergency & welfare services page. It concerns the discovery of a skeleton under a garden path.
- 12.04.2012 - A circa 1976 St Mary's Infant School photograph has been added to the class photos section
- 06.04.2012 - From Australia, John Lack has sent a photograph of the South House KGS rugby team of 1955. See it in School Team Photos Also, Grace Mutlow has given us a 1975 St Mary's Infants photo which has been added to the class photos section.
- 05.04.2012 - thanks to Sue Taylor (nee Pinnock) another 1954 Council Infants School photo has been added to the class photos
- 21.03.2012 - Gerald Baish has recorded his memories of growing up in Burton Latimer and they are included in the People section. A 1987 Evening Telegraph article about a series of pipebomb incidents has been added to the emergency & welfare services page. Two Church Infants School photographs from 1976-7 and 1978-9 have been added to the class photos .
- 20.03.2012 Courtesy of Gillian Clarke (nee Austin) two Council Infants photos for 1961-2 and Miss Leach's Council Junior School class of 1962-3 have been added to the class photos
- 13.03.2012 - A history of the Methodist Church in Burton Latimer has been added to the Churches, Chapels & Charities section and three East Lea St. Mary's Junior football team photos for the years 1974, 1975 and 1977 have been added to the School Team Photos thanks to Margaret Craddock
- 06.03.2012 -The Site Search facility has been updated and now includes all the recent additions and changes.
- 04.03.2012 - In the class photos Lindsey Walters has supplied almost all the missing names in Miss Clipson's Class 1961-2. Some name changes have been made in the Parade Day 1938-40 pages in the Sport & Leisure section.
- 22.02.2012 - A 1990 Evening Telegraph article about the Marching Pathfinders (the Scout Band) taking part in a St George's Day Parade has been added to Sport & Leisure section.
- A 1987 Evening Telegraph article about Burton Latimer's Carnival queens past and present has been added to the Sport & Leisure section.
- Three St Mary’s Infant School photographs have been added to the class photos. The 1970s photo is from Sylvia Fiske and the 1977 and 1978/9 photos are from the Austin and Rason families
- 15.02.2012 - Thanks to Pat and Trevor Smith, a Meadowside Infants photo from 1974 has been added to the class photos - many names needed please.
- 12.01.2012 - Thanks to Rob Jolley an East Lea class photograph from 1977/8 has been added to the class photos in the Education section.
- 02.01.2012 - Details of an hitherto unknown shoe company, the Burton Latimer Boot and Shoe Productive Society, can now be found on the Shoe Industry Introduction page in the Industry section
|To read the project news for the year 2010 & 2011 click here
|To read the project news for the year 2009 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2007 & 2008, click here
|To read the project news for the years 2005 & 2006, click here